Saturday, July 11, 2009

Bastards!

Tonight I went with a friend to see the show Tin Pan Alley Rag. It was extremely good, however sitting in a small theater seat for 2+ hours was NOT a good idea for my knee.

At intermission, I went to get in line for the ladies restroom. If you are female, and have ever used a restroom at the intermission of a show, you know that EVERY woman in the entire theater gets in line. As I move a little slow, I was toward the back of the line. I'm still using one crutch, and had a dress on, so my brace was very visible. I don't expect special treatment because of this, I'm certainly willing to stand in line. However, I do expect that people give me a touch more room in the line than normal. In my experience, when I see someone on crutch(es) I generally take a step aside, so that I'm sure not to bump him or her.

Apparently the lady in the white sweater doesn't subscribe to the same school of courtesy that I do, because she pushed right on by me, while I was at the top of the stairs, and thought nothing of it.

After the show, my friend walked me to the corner to get a taxi. We hailed one that was stopped at the light. The driver nodded to us, and we waited for the light to change, so he could pull up. Another couple crossed the street, the husband looked at me, then walked right past and peeked over his shoulder at me again as they walked up to my cab. Gold star to the taxi driver, he pointed at me, and told the guy to keep on moving, he already had a fare. The guy turned a third time and glared at me before walking on to the next cab.

Note that last sentence. There were two other cabs right behind mine. He either had to wait 20 seconds for the next cab to pull up a car length, or he had to walk a total of about 10 feet to that cab. What kind of person steals a cab from someone on crutches, when there are other cabs readily avaliable?

I'm not a very violent person, but things like this make me want to pick up that crutch and beat those people about the head with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment