Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Two weeks and counting

My surgery is 2 weeks from today. In fact, by this point in the day, i may even be home already. Probably home and miserable, but home.

I have a couple of random things to vent about today. First of all, transportation in this city SUCKS. It seems as though it's very accessible, but only if you're extremely mobile. There are a lot of elevators in the subway system, it's true. The city has been doing a pretty good job of keeping most of them in working order. The problem is, half the time, the ramp for the elevator is 3 times the distance of the stairs. The stairs are a pain in the butt, but at least they are close. My other favorite trick of the subway system is the elevator that goes from street to mezzanine, but, then the subway track is inside the gate, and down another set of stairs. Um... how is that accessible?

I'm trying to find the best way to get from my office to my home (and the reverse) so that while I am on crutches, I can minimize my walking distances during my commute. I've tried about 8 different combinations of subway and bus, and it seems that ALL of them include about the same amount of walking distance. Sure, these three subways connect, and alleviate an outdoor walk. Too bad you have to walk 17 miles underground to transfer from one subway to the next. Or up two flights of stairs, and then back down two more. um... no. I think my final answer is to take the train right outside my office up to my cross street, and then take a cab. It'll cut down the cost of the cab to about $4.00 a ride, which is still pricey, but much cheaper than taking it the entire way, and it doesn't add too much additional walking distance.

Another thing on my mind, I am starting to resent people at my gym. It's a sad, sad day when you realize you're glaring at the 60 year old woman on the exercise bike next to you, because she's showing off. By showing off, I mean actually riding the bike with her two perfectly functional knees. I, in comparison am grunting and straining, trying simply to get my knee bent to the 12:00 position on one side and 2:00 on the other.

Finally, what brilliant designer made bus seats so high? I realize I'm not extremely tall, but at 5'4", but I'm not far off from the average US female height. So why don't my feet touch the ground in a city bus seat? I've been riding buses in NY for 12 years, and this never really dawned on me until now, but as I sit with my bad knee dangling, it HURTS! I have to turn my right foot sideways, and rest my left foot on the arch of my right. Oh so comfortable, let me tell you. I think I'm going to find out who designs the city's bus seats, and once my knee is all better, that person is going to be the first in line for a butt kicking with my brand new knee.

No comments:

Post a Comment